All art requires courage.
It's been a rather rocky couple of weeks. I've been dabbling in the world of graphic design and t-shirt design contests, with little success. In one contest, my t-shirt design got a whopping ten votes, putting me in 107th place. In another contest, my design was given a score of 1.66 out of 5, and it was pulled from the contest early. This graphic design business is a good bit harder than it looks; the drawing skills come in handy -- but they're not enough.
So, rather than wallow in self-pity, I've decided to keep on rollin' and improve. If nothing else, I've been amassing work for my portfolio whilst honing my skills. I can only get better at this point. Naysayers are cretins and imbeciles, and ain't nothin' gonna break my stride.
Ten happy things:
- Sunshine pouring in your window
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- The smell of cheesy garlic bread in the oven
- Fashioning little accessories out of colorful beads
- Clean sheets
- Having a book on your shelf that is the exact art reference you need
- Knowing where the above book is on the aforementioned shelf
- The sweet, sugary-buttery-pastry goodness of beignets
- Community theater
- Finally receiving that long-awaited package in the mail
Conceptual poster designs for Sweeney Todd and Glass Menagerie.
Sketch for "Heart"-themed contest - not submitted.
Sketch for "Chinese Zodiac"-themed contest - not submitted. I was going for "Year of the Striped Tiger"...
Design submitted for "Chinese Zodiac"-themed contest: "Learn Your Zodiac!" My most popular design yet -- 22nd place!
Design submitted for "It's Hard Without Shoes"-themed contest: "No Ruby Slippers"